Marriott has J-1 Visa Programs for students or interns to gain experience working in Marriott hotels within the United States.
If you’re currently working or studying in the hospitality field outside the United States, the J-1 Exchange Visitor Training Program offers you the opportunity to gain experience working in Marriott hotels within the U.S.
The J-1 visa can provide an opportunity for practical “on-the job” training in the U.S. for foreign nationals who are either interns or trainees. Here are some things to keep in mind if you are considering a career-enhancing J-1 opportunity with Marriott in the U.S.:
- To qualify as a J-1 intern, an individual must be either currently enrolled in and pursuing studies at a degree or certificate-granting post-secondary academic institution outside the U.S. OR have graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months prior to his/her exchange program start date.
- To qualify as a J-1 trainee, an individual must have either a degree or professional certificate from a foreign postsecondary academic institution and at least one year of prior work-related experience acquired outside the U.S.; or, five years work experience outside the U.S. without the benefit a degree.
- J-1 programs in the “Hospitality and Tourism” category are limited to 12 months for both interns and trainees. Trainees may be approved for a J-1 program that is up to 18 months in length if the subject area for training is not hospitality and tourism
- As a J-1 intern or trainee, you may be placed in training programs in the Rooms Division, Front Office, Food & Beverage, Culinary or other programs as determined by the hotel.
- Once an employment offer has been accepted by an international trainee candidate, the individual must contact one of the below J-1 sponsorship organizations, authorized by the U.S. Department of State, to assist with the Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility, and the J-1 visa application.
Below is a list of Sponsorship Organizations that are authorized to assist with placing J-1 visa holders in internship and training programs with Marriott. Please contact the organizations listed for information about qualifications and application procedures.
- Alliance Abroad Group
- American Hospitality Academy
- Council for International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
- Cultural Homestay International
- Cultural Vistas (previously Association for International Practical Training (AIPT))
- Global Career Exchange
- Global Education Concepts
- HTP J-1 Visa Programs
- InterExchange (Marriott managed properties only use this sponsor for the Work & Travel program, not the Intern/Trainee program)
- International Educational Exchange, Inc.
- Odyssey International Exchange
- Pan Atlantic International (PAIT)
- Spirit Cultural Exchange
- Worldwide International Student Exchange (WISE)